Monday, September 16, 2013

The Railsback Boys

I talked to my mom on the way home tonight which is the regular custom of my drive home. Her memory has been fading in recent years, but the past six months have gotten progressively worse in a short amount of time. Tonight I asked her what she had done today.  She said that she had not done too much but they were supposed to meet "the boys" tonight. "Are you meeting them for supper?", I asked. "No," she said. I asked her where they were meeting (not really understanding who "the boys" were at the time). She said, "Oh, you know, in this town where I am at." Then she went on to say that she was just waiting for Dee to call her, but he had not done so yet (Dee passed about a decade ago.  In fact, all of "the boys" in the picture above are gone except Loren). I asked again, "Who is supposed to be calling you?" She thought for a moment, and then repeated, "Dee! I'm just waiting for his phone call." After I hung up, I called my sister, and she said that Mom kept talking about "the boys" this weekend, and mentioned Donny and Dee so she figured that "the boys" were her brothers. In the picture above are my mother's brothers from left to right: Loren, Dee, Verlyn, Merl and Donald..."The
Railsback Boys!"

No comments: