Monday, September 30, 2013

Imogene

My mother was the youngest of six girls in her family. Above, from left to right, are Maxine, Mavis, Imogene, Kate (my mom), Dorothy and Ila.  Imogene was the sister just older than my mother.  They were very close in age, just a little over a year apart. Tonight when I talked to Mom, she asked me if I had talked to Imogene since she came to visit. I said, "No, I haven't seen her. Have you?"  My mom told me that she had not.  I asked her who told her she came to visit, and she said that one of the "girls" (meaning one of her sisters) had told her that.  My dad quickly intercepted the conversation and told her that Imogene was in Ogallala, and has not come to visit. My mom started to protest, but my dad quickly interjected that they have not talked to anyone in Nebraska recently so he was sure she was not in Tucson. My mother is now having time distinguishing how far away Indiana is from where she lives, and how far Ogallala is in reference to either of us. Imogene, on the other hand, is still sharp as a tack!
I certainly love all my aunt's, but I've always loved teasing Imogene the most. She went on to marry Clarence Davison and gave him 7 boys so you can imagine how many stories she has to tell.  I love to hear her stories, and I love her smile, and I especially love the way she says, "Ohhh, Rod" or Monte or Kent or any of the boys when they get her goat. She has this thing she does where she twirls her hair with her right hand.  It is her classic MO. When I was in High School, I taped her on my reel to reel tape player.  I don't know how in the world I ever taped her without her knowing it, but she never noticed until I played it back to her.  She made me promise I wouldn't ever let anyone hear it. I'm pretty sure I erased it. I did get the opportunity, however, to tape her last Christmas when we were in Nebraska for Dort's funeral. She was on a roll and telling story after story. Perhaps one day, I will put some of her stories on here.

No comments: