Sunday, January 05, 2014

Scenes from Sky Harbor & the trip Home








What a difference 3 1/2 hours can make. It was 75 in Phoenix on Saturday, but when we arrived in Indy, it was 32 degrees. I expected it to feel a lot cooler after spending 10 days in the Arizona sun, but it felt good...it felt like home to me!





As you can see, the ground when we left was totally dry. We watched the weather reports all day, and wondered if our flight would be canceled due to the storm of the century stopping by Indiana, but the weather stalled so we were in luck. A man sitting next to us at the airport called this storm, "Hercules", which made us laugh. I'm not sure if he heard that on a weather report or made it up himself. Marlin said, "When did they start naming snowstorms like Hurricanes"?





We finally took off around 8 PM AZ time for the 3 1/2 flight home. It was a full flight, but excitement was in the air because the Colts had just won their game. We had about a half hour of turbulence which I expected since we were flying up and over the storm system. Once again, the thought went through my mind... I'm never doing this again. Why I scheduled 3 airplane trips within 2 months is beyond me.





When we started our descent, it was obvious we were back home again in Indiana when we passed over a very familiar site, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, covered in snow from the previous snowfall that week. The pilot circled the city and landed from the East so we could see the interstates and the cars traveling on dry roads so we were feeling pretty good about the drive home.





What a difference it looked like on the ground when we pulled up to the terminal.





Headed home on dry roads, but first we had to stop at the grocery store. Many shelves were bare, but I was able to get most everything I needed. We finally arrived at home at 4 AM and Hercules was just beginning to spit out the first few flakes of the day.







No comments: