Thursday, December 26, 2013

Happy Birthday Papa!

My father turned 86 today. He is a proud and independent man who has survived The Dust Bowl Days, World War II, Korea, and the Vietnam War not to mention other world events since retiring. He is having a hard time accepting help from anyone even though he is the full time care giver of my mother who suffers from dementia.





The path he is walking on will only continue to become more rocky over time. It is a struggle for me to know how hard to push. I don't want him to feel like we are taking away his right to make his own decisions, but I need to know that they are safe and healthy when I leave. I'm feeling overwhelmed on what I can do when he rejects all of our suggestions. I pray that God will give me the wisdom I need to make the right decisions.


3 comments:

Marisa said...

Trust that he will make good decisions and know that you and your family will be there to back him up or to pick up the pieces. God is always with us and will keep us in His care!

Nothing More, Nothing Less... said...

You're definitely right about that Marisa! I know that you have been walking in the same set of shoes that I'm walking in these days! Thanks for the encouraging words! God is definitely by our sides!

C.W. said...

You are not alone in this. . Thanks for writing about it. My mother is the caregiver for my father (formerly an air force pilot project) who has dementia. They live in Florida. .. and she thinks she can handle it all. She has agreed to allow HHC workers to come in 3 times per week... it is as you stated a challenge.