Sunday, November 24, 2013

A Bountiful Blessing at Desert Skies



My parents started going to Desert Skies after I got married.  In fact, they are one of the founding members of this church.  My dad at age 85 is still singing in the choir and helping with the flea market every week. A friend of my parents came up to me first thing and hugged me and told me how glad she was to see me.  Then she hugged a little tighter and told me that it was good I came because my mom really needs me.  I told her that was why I am here.  She said that there are currently 5 women in their congregation who are like my mom and are slipping away from them with memory issues (another kind word for dementia). She said that the ladies try to do what they can, but my father needs help.  Yes, I wish it was that easy, but how do you tell someone who is as independent as my dad that he needs help caring for the love of his life? It's a hard line to cross and I'm not sure I'm ready to do that.

I love what they did this morning. The church had a bountiful harvest.  They had all these empty baskets sitting up front when we arrived early for my dad to warm up with the choir, but by the time church started, families had filled up the baskets to overflowing. There was a wheelbarrow full of fresh fruits and vegetables and baked goods of all kinds which will be donated to one of the local nursing homes to help them prepare a homemade feast for their residents.  The title of the sermon this morning was Give of Your First Fruits. As Pastor Ed stated, "We are held in God's hands all the time and everyday. What more can we give thanks for? We should thank God for nurturing us, healing us, guiding us, and loving us. We need to focus on the goodness of God poured out on us. Thanks be to God for now and forever. Amen."

No comments: