Saturday, September 28, 2013

Before tumors and memory loss...



This is one of my favorite pictures of my parents with my sister. This was taken in 1954 prior to my mother being diagnosed with a brain tumor. It really is a miracle that my mother has lived as long as she has considering the fact that doctors didn't know all that much about brain surgery in 1954. My mother's brain tumor was in her cerebellum. She was in the hospital for months and had to learn how to walk and talk from scratch after her surgery. She missed all the milestones of her first born. My sister learned how to walk while my mom was in the hospital in Denver.
As I've mentioned before, my mom's memory is fading...or regressing really. I called tonight and she couldn't tell me where they were at the time or what they were doing.  She has a hard time completing sentences, and when she does, it doesn't make sense. I asked her if she was going to meet Linda for supper, and she said, "Probably...would you like to come?" I told her I wouldn't be coming until Thanksgiving, and she said, "Are you in Ogallala?"  I said, "No Mom, I'm in Indiana.  She asked me what I was doing in Indiana so I told her I was driving home from work. She said, "Oh, did you quit your job?" I thought my mom's memory would still be intact when I get there in November, but now I'm beginning to wonder.

No comments: