Thursday, June 07, 2012

Amish Emmie

How does time pass by so quickly?  Many a day has passed since this picture of Amish Emmie was taken. I was a boys' mom before Emilie arrived on the scene, and I figured with this pregnancy that I would still be a boys' mom so I was pleasantly surprised when this beautiful little bundle arrived with a different set of plumbing. I always said that Emilie gave me back my femininity. 
Dr. Higgins was THE best baby doctor ever. He gave me a home birth in a hospital setting. I used to tell Dr. Higgins that when he quit delivering babies, I would be done too, and it just happened to work out that way because he quit not too long after Emilie was born. I wish every young mother could have him aid them in delivery. 
I loved putting Emilie in bonnets when she was little.  I used to call her Baby Huey much to Barb's dismay.  It took a long time for her hair to come in.  I wonder if it was my fault for keeping her in bonnets so long.  haha! Emilie looks a lot older in this picture I shot when she was only a week old.  She came into this world at 9 pounds 8 ounces and she didn't lose much like most babies do when they come home.  I'd like to think that it was because I didn't stay in the hospital. Her birthday was certainly an easy one to remember since she was born on 6-7-89!
Cousins Rebecca & Laura came to visit and couldn't get enough of carrying Emilie around.  We took them out to Asherwood to hike and they insisted on carrying Emilie around in the backpack the entire time we were there.
Emilie was practically raised at the soccer field since her brothers were well into the sport by the time she was born. I never was one of those moms that sat home with the baby while the dad took the boys everywhere.  The soccer field was a family event. Everyone loved little Emmie no matter where we took her. She could be a girlie girl, but was never so prissy that she couldn't enjoy playing in the dirt.
This is one of my favorite pictures. I would love to know what she was thinking when I took this picture. 

This is where Emilie got her start making pies.  This was taken at Thanksgiving when I was doing all my baking. Whenever I baked anything, Emilie was always by my side.  When I made pies, I would always give Emilie some of the dough so she could roll out a little pie for herself.  Hilda gave me this idea because she said that her Grandma Hochstedler used to do the same for her.
Emilie LOVED dance.  This was her first dance outfit when she was in Kinderdance.  She was a bright yellow duck and began to show her leadership skills at a very early age.  She wasn't one of those girls that watched the other girls to see how to do the dance.  She was always confident in whatever she was doing.
A little known secret about Logansport, Indiana is that there is a carousel in the park.  I'm not sure why we don't go there more often.  
I love this picture!  It shows the personalities of each in a very real way! Let me know what you think!
There comes a time in every mother's life when she has to say goodbye to the little girl that she carried.  This picture is symbolic to me because Emilie was going out the door to meet Logan to see him privately before the ceremony.
...and now, the two are one...and their birthdays are only one day apart...how cool is that?
HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMILIE & LOGAN!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

A great tribute to someone so very dear!

P.S.
You were a Natural Parenting Mamma before Natural parenting became 'cool'
I love that.