Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Birthday Wishes for my Joe Boy!

Joe was my first baby to actually look like a baby instead of looking like he was three months old!

Back in the 80's, I thought it was cool to dress my boys alike and color coordinate their clothes. My experiences with photographers were often frustrating so I always ended up taking their pictures myself.
Joe and Sam were the best of friends at a very early age. This picture was taken at the McGrawville Harvest Party which was held each fall at the church barn which was located right across the street from the church.
Here the boys are in Idaho with their Janzen cousins during our Schrock Reunion Trip to Idaho.
Don't ask me what possessed Marlin to dress Joe like a Samurai. He called me into the kitchen to take a picture and this is what I found.
Joe loved it when I dressed him up or did funny things like spike his hair.  Curt, on the other hand, always hated it. I used to look at this picture when Joe was going through his Jr High spikey stage and laugh because I realized that I helped to create his uniqueness and eccentric personality.
Joe was laughing here, but he wasn't when he gave himself this rug burn. We were watching TV and Joe was running his face on the carpet back and forth.  He told me the rug was his field and he was plowing it. The only field he plowed was his face when the wool rug wore the skin right off of his face.
We went on a mission trip to Kentucky when Joe was in 6th grade. One of the locals had an iguana that Joe became friends with during a Bible Study one night.
 We took the trip on a bus that converted into living space.  Joe and Josh entertained us whenever we got on the bus to drive from place to place. Joe has always had the ability to make me laugh.
Spring Hill was an annual trip with the youth and Joe was always into whatever sport activity came down the pike. To capture this picture, I actually stood under the hill as Joe sped towards me.  I snapped the picture and ducked. I haven't always been the smartest photographer, but I've been willing to do some crazy things to capture memories like this.
Joe has always liked to live on the edge as evidenced by this picture of him standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon.
Joe and Emilie have repeated this picture many times over the years.  This original picture was taken while we were in Colorado during the wheat harvest. They had been playing in the wheat in the semi located behind them.  Needless to say, they were quite filthy.  The last re-enactment is below at Emilie's wedding.  Joe was such a help during the weeks leading up to the wedding, and he helped to make his sissy's big day a grand success. They were also a lot cleaner on this particular day!

I guess I don't need to explain this picture.  What can I say? Joe will always be my little baby boy!  haha!

...except now... He is all grown up with a family of his own. Oh my, how the years have flown by!

HAPPY 26th BIRTHDAY JOE BOY!
Thanks for all the memories!


No comments: