Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Gluten Filled Day

For the first time in 3 years, I ate gluten. For the most part, I haven't missed it that much, but boy oh boy was this sandwich from Jimmie John's good!  I'm certainly not ready to dive right back in to a world of gluten because I do think that my body produces some antibodies toward it for some strange reason. I had allergy testing last summer that revealed that I am allergic to quite a few foods so I have been on a rotation diet that has been helping. Gluten was on the list, but not high on the list. My doctor said it was probably low on the list because I haven't had gluten in such a long time that my body isn't producing antibodies toward gluten.  However, she said that doesn't mean that I'm not gluten intolerant.  I don't want to go back into the world of gluten, but I do think that if I put it in the rotation, I'll be fine. Time will only tell.

My gastroenterologist recommended that I have genetic testing to put the question of Celiac to rest once and for all. The tests came back negative for Celiac.  In January, I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy with biopsies of my esophagus, stomach, and colon.  All were negative and my colon looked better with no polyps or pre-cancers this time compared to five years ago.  I'd like to think that my diet has contributed to that. I knew I needed to do a Gluten Challenge Test so yesterday when two of my friends from work invited me to go with them to Jimmie John's for lunch, I said Why Not?? When we were eating, Rachel said, "I feel like I just took a recovering alcoholic to a bar." 
So for today, falling off the wagon felt good 
thanks to Rachel and Lisa!

No comments: