Friday, September 23, 2011

An Idaho Journey - Iowa to Wyoming

Beginning the Day in Des Moines, Iowa

It's funny, but when I was a kid, I hated the drive across Iowa & Nebraska.  It seemed like it took forever on Highway 30 and the scenery bored me, but now when ever I see the change from Eastern Nebraska to Ogallala, it just reminds me of family and memories of my childhood.  My dad's parents were from Grant, Nebraska and many of my mom's sisters were from Ogallala, Nebraska. My grandmother Leona Celestia Railsback lived in Joes, Colorado for most of my childhood, but moved back to Ogallala after my grandpa died.  We lived with her my Sophmore year in high school while my dad was stationed in Thailand. 

The information booth heading into town.

Maxine Brown to the left and Imogene Davison to the right are two of my mother's older sisters. Imogene reminded me that I had not been to Ogallala since 1993.  I guess my visit was long overdue.

My cousin Debbie Brown Foust

Saying goodbye after my very short visit.  It was so good to see you guys!  Love You!

We were planning on making it to at least Cheyenne, but we needed to feed Hilda so we decided to call it a night in Sidney, Nebraska.  We ate at a locally owned steakhouse called Dude's which was established in 1952.

Dude's is the local place to be.

The decor was so typical of small western towns.  Our waitress, Cassie was born and raised here.  She said she would like to get out of town and move somewhere else.  Marlin told her that big city people want to get out of the city and want to move to small towns. Funny thing, this town has a Cabella's.  In fact, I think their corporate offices are here.  What a contrast the HUGE houses on the hill are from the rest of the town which looks just like it did when I was a little girl.

Vernon said that was the best Prime Rib Sandwich he has ever eaten.

The sun was setting after supper and everyone agreed it was time to go to the motel and rest up for tomorrow.  We covered 600 miles today with 850 more to go.

2 comments:

Emilie said...

love the last photo of grandma & grandpa holding hands, so sweet.

Sue Railsback Gonnell said...

You look like you are having the time of your life. Wish I was there too. I love Ogallala and I love you too. Be safe. :)